Pages

About Me

My photo
-a Registered Nurse whose mission is to spread LUPUS AWARENESS.

Wednesday 16 July 2014

CT Scan Part 2

Few days after my lower abdominal CT Scan with IV and rectal contrast, here I am again ready to conquer another challenge of my lupus life. :)

Lupus can affect or attack the central nervous system. Since I have SLE, I've been having severe headaches/migraines commonly known as lupus headaches. And lately, this migraine-like headache makes me wanna give up. So my doctor referred me to a neurologist.

Dr. Mamangun, my neurologist asked me few questions and I told him my past and present illnesses. He also performed neuropsychoclogical tests. To be sure and to rule out CNS lupus since I experienced vasculitis few years ago, he ordered CRANIAL CT SCAN with IV CONTRAST. So what is CNS Vasculitis? CNS Vasculitis is a very rare complication of SLE caused by inflammation of the blood vessels of the brain. It is diagnosed by a blood vessel study and requires treatment with high dose steroids. 
After my check up with Dr. Mamangun, I went at Angeles University Foundation Medical Center to have Cranial CT Scan (a diagnostic tool used to create detailed picture of the skull, brain, paranasal sinuses and eye sockets. The contrast dye helps highlight some areas better on the images. Good thing I did not eat or drink for several hours prior to the test because I'll be receiving contrast. My creatinine was normal too. 

The procedure itself is painless. Their instruction to me is to remain still. At first, they took images without the contrast. Then, a nurse inserted an intravenous injection where the contrast will pass through. A doctor also assisted me while the contrast dye is being inserted. I was reminded to notify the scanner operator and the doctor immediately if there is difficulty in breathing, nausea, feeling of warmth, vomiting or itchiness. I did not feel anything except for the metallic taste of the dye and the cold feeling in my right hand. 

So here is the interpretation/result of my CT Scan:

TECHNIQUE: Non-contrast and contrast enhanced 16-multislice axial CT images of the BRAIN

FINDINGS: 
1. No evidence of extraaxial and intraaxial hemorrhage. No territorial infarct is evident.
2. No focal mass lesion or edema.
3. No abnormal parenchymal and meningeal enhancement.
4. No gross ectatic vessel seen in the major vascular structures.
5. The sulci, cisterns, extraaxial spaces and ventricles are normal.
6. The posterior fossa is relatively preserved.
7. The paranasal sinuses and tympanomastoids are well aerated.
8. The calvarium is intact.

In short, all normal. So that's it. It was merely lupus headache. Keeping the mind and spirit healthy is as important as keeping the body healthy. Cut down your stress. Do not be a pessimist.  Exercise and diet are nice combination to be healthy. Also, know when to take a rest and sleep. Eat healthy foods and avoid caffeine and processed foods. Do not abuse yourself  and know your limitations. Remember to avoid things that may trigger lupus like stress and sunlight. 

As of now, I'm still experiencing migraines and lupus headaches. But still I'm trying my best to have healthy lifestyle and take my medicines religiously. 

And if you're feeling like giving up.. JUST PRAY and feel your pulse. Never forget to thank the Lord for the pain and for another priceless gift - the gift of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment